Another great little update to make Noobkit even better!
- Source code! Up in the toolbar in the top right corner, look out for the source icon when viewing methods.
- Table of content shows up for big pages. Pretty neat, eh?
- API is now grouped a little bit better.
- Examples are colored better and no longer indented randomly.
- Home page no longer loads slow if delicious frame is lagging.
- If search results returned only one item, you are taken directly to it.
- Search results should be covering everything now (no more missing stuff).
Noobkit turns another version!
- Bookmarks! Look for a little heart next to the search box.
- Collapsible side bar.
- API tree is now synchronized with the page you are on.
- No more frames! Everything is now 100% CSS goodness.
- New shorter, friendlier and clearer URLs. Old style URLs work just fine.
- Better way to leave comments. No more expandable bars. Boy, was that a bad idea or was that a bad idea?
- Better cross reference linking in the documentation.
- Cleaner documentation parsing.
Please enjoy responsibly.
It’s 3AM and new Noobkit update is finally live. The most prominent update is the new Ferret based search through out the entire documentation base. This means the search is faster and a lot more relevant.
Aside from the new search, I fixed up the look a little bit, added syntax highlighting for all code samples and polished the whole thing up further.
Please, leave feedback, let me know how I’m doing.
So I’m really pissed with Mediatemple.
Not only it’s not the fastest dog on the block, especially the backend, they consistently kept shutting down Noobkit 5-8 times a day.
Mediatemple allocates 64MB of RAM for a Mongrel instance, which is fine. If your app goes over, they just shut Mongrel down, automatically… without restarting it. So I’m getting an SMS from Pingdom at 3AM telling me that the site is down and I have to go “cap restart” it.
Noobkit is a very small site currently and only been up and running for just over 10 days with barely 200 uniques a day. There’s absolutely no way Mongrel can tip over 64MB with this type of load. I tried running a production Mogrel locally and pound it with Apache’s AB. After 10,000 hits I’m seeing 45MB of RAM.
Response from Mediatemple to my question about frequent Mongrel shutdowns was as expected:
After reviewing our records, I was able to confirm that it has been shutting down repeatedly. However, testing it live versus on another system will not necessarily be an accurate estimate. You will either need to debug your application, or increase your container to another a larger server.
So yesterday I found a no-registration coupon and got myself an account at DreamHost. Moving the blog was a peace of cake. Setting up Capistrano was pretty easy as well and the DNS should be updated overnight.
At first, DreamHost seems much snappier. We’ll see how it works out.
A new version of Noobkit is up. Here are the goodies:
- Constants and aliases are now included
- Methods are grouped in public, protected and private.
- Lists show descriptions, which are just first paragraphs from the full documentation.
- More APIs, including Ruby 1.8.6
- Faster, hopefully.
- Prettier, again – hopefully
Please enjoy responsibly!